Friday, March 19, 2021

Controller terminology change

It's not very often that we change the terminology used on the PNAERC list. I do what I can to keep things consistent and I'm more successful with this in some areas than in others. Recently Jeff Hakner noticed that there were some inconsistencies with my control terminology. Fortunately, he recommended an eminently sensible solution.

Previously, for most MU control, I was using hyphens between the control system type and the master controller. This tends to be common usage, at least in railfan publications, and gives you equipment designations like "GE M-C6A" or "WH HL-15B1." However Jeff pointed out that in some cases, notably PC control, I was putting the master controller in parentheses, e.g. "GE PC-10 (CJ129)." I think I did this because hyphenating PC-control seemed standard but I also didn't want strings of hyphens. But it's inconsistent. It's also inconsistent with the brake terminology we've long used, where the brake schedule is followed by the motorman's valve in parentheses, e.g. "AMM (M15B)."

The solution Jeff recommended - and, with a bit of input from me, has implemented - was to put master controllers in parentheses. So "GE M-C6A" is now "GE M (C6A)" and "WH HL-15B1" is now "WH HL (15B1)." This conveys the same information but, I think, in a slightly clearer and certainly more consistent fashion. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment