Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Updates to Unknowns

There are two fewer cars listed on the PNAERC roster with the condition "situation unknown." That's always a bad sign - it means I have no current information on the car and often means I'm not even certain it still exists. Anyway, the first of the two cars is Denver Tramways 723, the double-truck work motor shown in the above photo from 2021. Thanks to Jeff Thain, I now have more information on this car. It was one of three DT work cars retired in the early 1950s and sold to a place called Snow Ranch, south of Byers, CO. The three cars were discovered in 1998 and moved to the Thain property in Strasburg, CO, where they were stored for a few years. In 2003, cars 724 and 770 were sold and moved to the Pikes Peak Historical Street Railway in Colorado Springs, where they remain to this day (this has allowed me to flesh out the histories of those two cars). As for 723, it has remained stored in a building in Strasburg to the present day. The property was sold in 2021 but the new owners have kept the car pretty much as they found it. As such, it's gone from "situation unknown" to "stored inoperable." Thanks, Jeff!

The other "mystery" car is Toronto Transportation Commission 2822, an Ottawa-built Peter Witt. This was listed as being owned by the Mission to Seafarers in Toronto, and the most recent information I had (from about 10-15 years ago, I believe) had it stored out of the public eye as a stripped hulk. But I haven't found any recent information on it at all, and I've never seen a preservation-era photo of it, so for the time being I've removed it from the PNAERC roster. If anyone knows for sure whether 2822 is still around, please let me know. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Gord McOuat at Halton County Museum confirms the likelihood the TTC car was scrapped. He has not seen it since 1970. The most recent storage site has been redeveloped.
    ~Wesley

    ReplyDelete