Saturday, January 20, 2024

More List Clean-up

Every so often, I try and go through and double-check some of the more questionable cars on the PNAERC list. For the most part, these are cars that definitely existed and were preserved at one point, but I can't find any information to corroborate their continued existence. This isn't the first time I've gone through and removed cars whose existence is suspect enough that I no longer think they belong on the PNAERC list.

This time, I've pulled six cars off the list. Four are Lackawanna MU trailers, cars 2310, 2313, 2316, and 2341. All four were formerly on the list as part of the sizable Reading Blue Mountain & Northern/Reading & Northern fleet of excursion cars - the four cars were even listed as having been renumbered as RBM&N 314, 313, 312, and 311 respectively - but during my recent photo project I wasn't able to find any trace of them online. I'm not certain that they've been scrapped, but I can't find any evidence that they're still around, and for a highly visible railroad like the R&N that strikes me as peculiar. For the time being, they're off the list.

There's also Pennsylvania Railroad 450, an MP54 that last I knew was owned by the Wilmington & Western. According to my notes it had been damaged by arsonists, and I can't find any recent evidence of this car either, so it's possible that it's been scrapped. I've removed it from the list until I can find definite information one way or another. EDIT: This car is still around and is back on the list! 

And the final car is a Mobile Light & Railroad single-trucker from Mobile, Alabama. About 20 years ago, this car was saved by the Museum of Mobile and put into storage at the Alabama State Docks. Its number was unknown, but it was a 120-series Birney built by St. Louis in 1919. Anyway, I can't find any evidence that it still exists. This one is a bit more likely to still be there - it wouldn't be the first car that a historical society has squirreled away and largely forgotten about - but as little information as I have on it to begin with, I'm not confident that it's still there at the docks. Unless someone can provide information to the contrary, it's off the list. EDIT: Wesley Paulson discovered that the Museum of Mobile deaccessed the car in 2009 and gave it to the city, which at the time put it in a municipal lot somewhere. The museum hasn't heard anything about the car lately and it's probably a safe bet that the car has been scrapped.

Interested in helping? Click here for a list of the cars whose current status is entirely unknown to me. Many of these are certainly in existence - I don't have any doubt that QRL&P 105 is still around, for example - I just don't know what their conditions are. Current information on any of these cars - or, for that matter, on the cars listed above that have been removed from the list - would be very helpful.

EDIT: The status of several of the cars at the link has been determined - click here.

2 comments:

  1. From what I gather, the remnants of Newport & Providence 9 was recently dismantled based on this YouTube short. https://youtube.com/shorts/PH5zIB6t4T8?si=Y92EMfUzipQCDX_a

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three Exporail cars are confirmed in storage.

    ReplyDelete