Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Today's "mystery cars"

During the ongoing project of going through and double-checking all of the listings, I've been coming across some "mystery cars" - in this case, equipment that I know was around until recently but which I've managed to lose track of.

Today I'm looking for information on two of the three Pittsburgh PCC cars that until 2013 or so were at Power Superconductor in New Castle, PA. The cars in question are Pittsburgh PAT 1734 and 1773, both 1949 St. Louis cars. The former car, 1734, was donated to the Youngstown Steel Heritage Museum in 2013 but I haven't been able to find any evidence that it was moved. The other car, 1773, I can't find any information on at all.

UPDATE 3/2019: It turns out that car 1734 has been moved to Ellwood City, PA by the owner of the company in New Castle for restoration. It's also been confirmed that 1773 was scrapped for parts. Click here for more details.

A third car, 1705, was acquired by Midwest Electric Railway Museum in Mount Pleasant, IA and was moved there in 2013; I believe it's currently in storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment