Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Mystery MUs in Maryland

For today I've got a couple of mystery cars. There's a pair of Reading MU cars stored on a siding on the south side of Chestertown, Maryland, a small town on the eastern shore due practically straight east from Baltimore across Chesapeake Bay. The cars are located on an ex-Pennsy branch next to what looks like an old grain warehouse.

2008 photo from Google Maps

Unfortunately I don't have any car numbers on these two. They appear to have had air conditioners mounted in them, suggesting that they *might* be more refugees from the ill-fated motel in Pennsylvania, but I'm not certain of that. But I read somewhere online that one of these two is the only surviving motor car of a sub-series of Reading motor-trailer sets. That suggests it has Commonwealth trucks and has (or had) four motors rather than the Taylor trucks and two motors of the majority of the Reading MU fleet. This photo supports that claim - but I still don't have car numbers nor, for that matter, do I know who owns these cars. Help!

3 comments:

  1. The two cars and a caboose are part of a conference facility at Stepne Manor. Note the air conditioners in the sides of the cars. I will see what else I can find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! If you're able to find fleet numbers for those cars I'll add them to the PNAERC list. Cars like this that are adapted for non-museum use are something of a grey area, but if they're this complete (trucks, underbody equipment, etc) I typically consider them preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rep at Stepne Manor sent pictures of the cars when delivered. The cars are lettered for Revel Railroad as 106 and 107. Email me at my dctrolley address and I can forward the pictures. Do you think this info is worth a thread on RyPN?

    ReplyDelete