Thursday, August 24, 2017

Seashore equipment updates

As I go along, I try and periodically check on some museums' websites to see whether they've added more roster information to fill in gaps in the PNAERC record. I spent a bit of time perusing the Seashore website and was able to update a few of the MBTA rapid transit cars in their collection. There are two steel "main line elevated cars" that are not accessioned but are kept as parts storage (one shown above), 0986 and 0996, that had dates of acquisition (1996) added; I also added master controller type (CJ129) to 0719 and the assorted other Cambridge-Dorchester cars in the collection.

While I was at it, I also corrected the ownership history of Lynn & Boston Street Railway 3256, a very old open car body owned by Seashore. It turns out the Lynn & Boston was one of the companies that was incorporated into the Boston & Northern in 1901, while the B&N itself was incorporated into Bay State Street Railway in 1911. The car is actually listed as BSSR 3256 on the Seashore website these days - I may change its "primary" owner to BSSR, assuming that's an "official" change - so it presumably lasted at least that long in service. I still don't know when the car was retired from service but then again the Seashore website doesn't list that date, so it may be one of those facts lost to history.

I'm always looking to add random bits of information to fill in gaps in the database, of which there are far too many to count. If you ever see a bit of information - an acquisition date, a prior owner, an unidentified piece of electrical equipment - that is missing, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment